There are plenty of reasons why you might wish to rent a storage unit. Maybe you have large pieces of furniture, or recreational vehicles, that simply won’t fit in your home or garage. Maybe you need some storage space as you prepare to move into a new home. Maybe you need storage space temporarily, as you clean and declutter.
The question is, how much storage space do you actually need? There are several standard sizes to choose from. At most self-storage facilities, 10×30 is the largest option. A 10×30 storage space is about as large as a 1½ car garage.
What Fits into a 10×30 Storage Unit?
To visualize the space within a 10×30 unit, it may be helpful to consider what fits inside. Consider:
- A 10×30 storage unit should be ample space to fit the contents of a fully furnished 3-5-bedroom home.
- Your 10×30 space should be sufficient even for oversized items, including full dining room sets, laundry machines, an entertainment center, a number of large boxes, etc.
- Alternatively, a 10×30 space should be large enough to fit a small vehicle, whether that’s a car, ATV, or boat.
In other words, there is plenty of space to work with here, and much that you can do in 10×30.
Is 10×30 Enough Space?
As you consider self-storage options, it’s important to pick your space judiciously. On the one hand, you don’t want to risk getting too little space, and needing to upgrade later on. At the same time, you don’t necessarily want to get too much space, and wind up paying for room that you’re not actually using.
A good starting point is to take a careful inventory of what you need to store. Remember, a 10×30 may be sufficient for the contents of three to five bedrooms. If you only have about one bedroom’s worth of stuff, then 10×30 is likely more than you need.
Also remember that storage guidelines are always approximate, and many oversized or bulky furniture items may prove hard to store. If you have any such items, it’s helpful to measure them and ensure they will fit snugly into your storage unit.
How Much Does a 10×30 Storage Space Cost?
Another common question: How much does it cost to rent a 10×30 storage space? The specific amount may vary according to several different factors, including geographic location and whether or not the unit is climate controlled. At Smith Valley Storage, the monthly rate for a 10×30 unit is approximately $160. Contact our office for a more specific quote.
How to Pack a 10×30 Self-Storage Unit
Once you’ve chosen your self-storage unit, it’s important to pack it strategically. Here are our tips for ensuring you’re maximizing your space.
- Keep track of all your stored items by creating a master inventory list. It may be helpful to put stickers or labels on boxes, reminding you of what’s inside.
- When possible, stick to just one or two standard box sizes.
- Generally, it’s best to put items into boxes, rather than leaving “loose” items in your self-storage unit. This doesn’t apply for large items that don’t fit into boxes.
- Fill boxes completely, whenever possible, to make the best possible use of space.
- Place heavy boxes at the bottom, and stack lighter boxes on top of them.
- Avoid storing things in plastic bags, which can attract moisture and mildew.
- Create aisles that allow you to access your items as needed.
- Use vertical shelving to really optimize your use of the space.
These are our recommendations for packing a 10×30 storage unit. If you have any additional questions, or wish to reserve your self-storage space, contact us directly.
View Our Storage Size Guides
- How Big is a 5×5 Storage Unit?
- How Big is a 5×10 Storage Unit?
- How Big is a 10×15 Storage Unit?
- How Big is a 10×10 Storage Unit?
- How Big is a 10×20 Storage Unit?
- How Big is a 10×25 Storage Unit?
- How Big is a 10×30 Storage Unit?
- How Big is a 15 x 40 Storage Unit
- How Big is a 40×40 Storage Unit?